1/19/2008

t minus ...

There is one day left in Colorado Springs. We fly to Newark from Denver on Sunday to arrive in Delhi on Monday night (India time). We will hang in a hotel for the night so that we can catch a train before 7am Tuesday. And thus begins the next phase.

Yesterday, we took a little time off to go hiking at a state park north of CO Springs. It was pretty cool ... in fact, rather cold. We had our last talk today - about poverty, since we will all be faced with it. To reinforce the discussion, we all headed over to the soup kitchen downtown to serve. I imagine that we served a couple of hundred people lunch. It also started to snow pretty good this afternoon/evening. After dinner we gathered together for the last time as an entire intern group to worship and pray for/with each other. That was an amazing time, just praying for each other. And now, it is almost midnight here (mountain time), and tomorrow we leave the retreat center. So, until India in a couple of days, so long.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Tammi! Colorado looks awesome with all the snow. You'll probably be in India by the time you read this. You are in my prayers. Good luck with culture shock, jet lag, and the like. God bless!
~Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

They look like a great group to hang out with, but now what happens to them? Are they all going with you, or are they traveling other places, what?

I have successfully entitled the picture of you in the snow 'Tam The Indian' how do you like it? lmao, but look at all that snow!!!

I haven't fed the hungry/homeless downtown in years, but I don't really feel guilty about it either.

We are coming to a close on the browning church project, we had to paint the entire outside of the church so it took two visits, and one more is going to be scheduled. New gutters were put up as well. When I am doing this work its a fantastic feeling, and its great making new friends that enjoy the same things I do. However I feel bad that I don't have anyone coming with me to help, like its my parents group, so I help them, and we have help from outside churches, but no one from University has helped the past two visits to kick off 2008. The Bible study is having a bit of a slow kick off too, with 4 people showing up the first week, and then Michael canceling it the second. Its hard to invite those who you know will not come. But as it says, whip the dirt from your feet, and go to the next house. in other words, don't sweat it, move on, and invite people you don't know. I know I am kind of ranting, but its helping. Anyway I don't mean to bother you with these harder times.

-Thinking of you

tam said...

Thanks Liz. Travels were friendly to us and jet lag is almost over (though I still got up insanely early this morning). How is the Alpha study going in the Bible study group?

Doug: The group of interns/new staff are now divided around the world - some stayed in CO and will do a project trip somewhere in the world (Jordan, Kenya, Rwanda, etc.), some in Uganda, Costa Rica, and then India.
What's next on the church connections list? Maybe there needs to better advertising? I do not know the answer ... though I am glad that you are finding the work fulfilling and a joy. I will add the college group to our prayers - that way the world over will be praying for God's hand at the church. Hang in there!