1/16/2008

half orientated

Orientation here in Colorado is nearly to the half-way point. I have initiated a morning hike outside to observe the sunrise each morning. Before most people are moving around, I am tromping through the snow and just marveling at God's creation. This is a great way for me to have personal time for contemplation and the like - which is essential for me to function. This morning I walked to the edge of the property and ran across a seemingly intentional sign of placed trees - crossed, and a partially buried orange cone. I thought about why someone did this, took a picture, then made my way right through it. Oh well.

Our days are packed from 7am to 11:30 or midnight, consistently. Lots of discussions covering cultural awareness, history and purpose for missions, general expectations of interns, and our calling. Today we went to a climbing gym for team building and fun. It is difficult to climb "blind" with someone on the ground guiding your hand and foot holds. Tonight, we just finished a personality survey - one: so that we can learn to work effectively with co-workers, but also culturally what is traditionally more apparent or valued. Apparently I am a perfectionist; who knew?
We are scheduled to get a few inches of snow early Wednesday morning with wind chill in the negatives (is this humane?). I am making lots of new friends in just this short amount of time, which is always a plus. I have a feeling what this thing that I can feel God is preparing me for - not specifically, but life attitude, is about especially after our last talk tonight about calling. This just might turn my scheduled life up-side-down for a while. I just might not have things all figured out, but, strangely, I am glad for that. We will see. In the meantime, India is straight ahead.

4 comments:

RuthT said...

Your time in Colorado sounds fantastic and like a time for inner growth. May God bless you with peace and strength during training. Then India, watch out! God is on your side.

Anonymous said...

Foot of snow!!! -envious-

Its good that your making a lot of new friends, I am getting a lot of old friends back at the moment and have been spending more time at the pool hall =]. And some new friends at community bible, they are seeming to get to know me better even though I don't really talk to individuals outside of the group time.

I figured out you were a perfectionist (ocd) lmao when you were mad at me about the order of my cds in my car. You had to put them all in order and the title needed to be at the top. I will surely miss the days of getting to know you better from a first person perspective, but hearing about your days and choices are good too.

Don't freeze!

tam said...

Doug, I wasn't mad at you for sloppy CDs, I just like to see them straight. If you wanted, I would have left them alone. But yea, I guess I am slightly ocd - manageably obsessive.
Thought: why not talk with Pastor Kit about a pool thing in the new building. That would lots of fun and a great atmosphere.

Anonymous said...

I just met him tonight! perhaps I will.