1/23/2008

how I found myself in India

We (Ryan and I) arrived in Delhi just over a day ago. Since we landed at night, it was 10pm ish and dark when we made it through customs - and all of our bags made the complete trip as well! Two other guys met us at the airport - Ryan K. (staff) and David (from Oxford; one intern that stayed over for another semester). We jumped in a taxi and drove quite a distance to our hotel for the night. I did not sleep more than a couple of hours and was wide awake before 4am Delhi time (4:30 pm central time). We left the hotel at 6am, and walked about 10 minutes to the train so that we could depart by 6:50am. It was a 5 1/2 hour train ride from Delhi to Dehradun. Both Ryan and I managed not to fall asleep the whole train ride so that we could have a quicker adjustment to the time difference. Because of a film over the windows in the train (sadness, since we couldn't gaze at what we were passing), Dehradun was the first time we could see India in daylight. This is where I pause in my story: Wow. Overriding thought: They must have a system for driving. It may not appear that way since the lines on the street (when there happened to be lines) are quiet suggestions. But there are few accidents or hit pedestrians. And do not worry Danna, I do not (yet) have the guts to navigate the streets here on a motorcycle. I do not know the system, so I would either wet my pants in anxiety or screw up the system and hurt somebody (or both).

In Dehradun, we had lunch and taxied our way up mountain. I really need much more practice eating with my right hand, since it is culturally inappropriate to eat with the left (silverware is not really used). Though I have seen scary switchbacks before in the mountains of Guatemala, this ride up was long and tight fitting on the road. At least we had concrete barriers before you fall off the mountain and paved roads. It is funny though, the same honking system is implemented here as in Guatemala - to announce your presence, though not just before you get to blind 180 degree turns but also in the cities in traffic. Once you get past the idea that it is annoying that car horns can be heard at all times, it is actually quite humorous. We got to the top of one peaks here where the office is about 3pm yesterday. The two remaining interns (Ryan R. and David), us two new interns (me and Ryan "Quinn") and Gretchen (staff) took a walk around one of the loops. What a great view! We have not had much opportunity for interaction with anybody else yet. We had dinner a bit later (boiled cabbage and lintels with an Indian flat bread - "poor man's dinner") and continued chatting. After everybody (all of the guys and married peoples) left for their respective homes, Gretchen and I stayed up talking until 9pm ish. I unpacked a bit. After being scared about freezing during the night, Gretchen helped me prepare to buckle down. Under five dense, woven blankets (plus the extremely warm travel blanket that April gave me) I slept in one of those mummy sleeping bags with leggings, pants, undershirt, long-sleeve shirt, shirt, sweatshirt, scarf, coat, beanie, gloves, and two pairs of socks. By two this morning, I was hot (shock, I know, I do not use that word much). So here I am. Sitting in the office (all I had to do was walk through one door) at the desk that I now will refer to affectionately as mine waiting for the sun to rise over the Himalayas. So good morning to all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tammi! YAY! You've made it!!! It sounds like you're getting kind of settled...wow...to have a view of the himalayas...that's pretty incredible! Nothing like seeing some pretty miraculous evidence of God!! Take care and I'm praying for you!
Carolyn :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you made it safely and your luggage did too. It is sad you were not able to see the landscape on the train ride. I would like to think you would get hot with your abominable snowman pj outfit. You brought enough clothes, yea!

Peace,
K