11/25/2007

why India? because

I have been asked many times now (and expectantly many more to come) with confusion, astonishment, and concern, 'why are you going to India ... and to do what exactly?' Many have known about my plans to study in Berlin this coming winter/spring semester and were excited for me about that experience. On that note: no worries. I will make my way to Deutschland soon enough. For goodness sake, I have learned German! But this other thing presented itself, and I jumped in with both feet.

And it is odd, somewhat, that friends from school are equally excited or even more excited about India than Germany, while friends from both church and work seem less thrilled (I know there are you within this group that have been a great encouragement to me, so sorry to lump you into the masses ... but I have not encountered even one fellow student or professor that disapproves or disagrees or whatever). I do not know why some wish for me to reconsider.

I, like others in my generation, feel the need to have lives that have an impact, that does good for people, for the world, in general and specifically. I was introduced to EMI a little over a year ago as a possibility to what then was a searching for an answer to the whisper of purpose in my life. I fully see my life played out as a career architectural missionary in service to all nations, bringing hope to all nations. EMI's slogan is 'designing a world of hope.' Perfect! It is showing God's love practically to those who are desperate for it. My heart jumps knowing that God has called me in ministry with Him for this reason.

So why India? Approximately a year ago, my dad and I decided that we should do one of EMI's short term missions (two weeks-ish long) - he as the structural engineer and I as the draftsman. We had done local service together, but an international mission would be an extra blessing to serve alongside my father. And he was so excited (and jealous) when plans for my serving in Poland were underway. Just because this is now no longer possible does not mean that God has taken away my heart, willingness, and ability for international service. And as my undergraduate career was coming to a close, timing worked out that I had this considerable block of time open before I could begin graduate school. With this and other happenings, there were just so many open doors that it floored me.

I have been in communication with several current mission-minded people, and all of them have a particular people on their heart. I do not have that (yet?) - my focus is still the nations. Does this mean that I have not met other missionaries that are not solely attached to one location? or Will I develop a burdened heart for a people group, I just have to find them? or Is my call simply different and purposefully global? I know not. But in any case, I move ahead with what lies before me.

I guess now I will get to confuse Spanish, German AND Hindi when searching for a word. So why India? Because God said so.

No comments: