11/10/2007

prayer, rest, sleep

I am currently up in Menard, Texas. 'Where?!' you might ask. It is the largest town in Menard County. (Just look it up if you really are interested.) Anyway I am up here because my sister is going to be guest preaching at one of her seminary friend's church tomorrow. So she is still writing her sermon, while I am simply wasting time. It is a beautiful thing. We are all (my sister's preacher friend included) sitting in her parsonage - they in the dinning room at the table and I lounging sideways in a really comfy sofa chair, feet over one edge, messing around on my laptop, absorbing its warmth into my lap. We stayed up yesterday into early today (about 2am) thinking, questioning, and working through various scriptures and theology and lines of thought hopefully pertaining to my sister's sermon. It is interesting how much they sort through and note that does not become the 'published' piece that everyone hears.

Besides that, I also have a better appreciation for what those people waiting to be ordained as pastors go through. I did my EMI (engineering ministries international) phone interview a couple of days age. I was not nervous coming into it because I feel that this is where I need to be - out in the world, not hiding my given talents in the sand, but using them however much I can where ever I am. So in my heart, I know India is next. But anyway, the phone interview was more than I was prepared for. The intern coordinator asked me about my faith, what is the gospel and how has this affected my life, what are my practices dealing with prayer and study, and various other very loaded questions. I hope my answers were good - I do not remember what I said. I just remember praying often, 'Lord, your turn. I think this question goes to you.' I will officially find out either Monday night or Tuesday morning if India is where I am supposed to be from January to mid-July of 2008. So these few days (past and coming) have been devoted to prayer from EMI, me, my Bible study, and various other people who I have asked.

So back in Menard ... lounging in this arm chair. Both my sister's and my cell phones do not work here - meaning no calls (a struggle for her) and no instant time and no alarm clock (my struggle). We woke up at dawn (whatever time that is) and decided that we should go back to sleep. It wasn't until 9:30 ish before we got up. I made us both omelets (amazingly beautiful tri-fold, evenly cooked, spiced to each of our different tastes, cheese and ham - not bragging, really, but they were good) and then we are where we are.

I think my sister's friend is going to make ... um, allow my sister to see the sights of Menard to get out of the house. So off they go. While me, just lounging in this comfy chair, legs draped over the edge, messing around on my laptop.

No comments: