11/14/2007

hear ye

It is official! As of yesterday night, I will be serving in India with EMI (www.emiusa.org) as an architectural intern. Two months from today all new interns will congregate in Colorado Springs, CO for orientation ... then off we go to our respective countries. I am very ready to start this next phase, even though the last bit of school is still lingering (just two half weeks, one whole week, and then finals).

Mid-January to mid-July, 6 months. This would be the longest that I have "been on assignment" away from familiar customs and traditions (and availability of certain creature comforts ... i.e. pink frosting). Strangely, I am not stressed or disconcerted by this. I have seen myself for a few years now as semi-nomadic, not grounded to any particular nation, but reaching out to all nations.

It has been my consistent prayer for many years now that God would allow me to join with Him in service, using to the fullest extent the gifts, talents, and character that He has given me and grown up in me. Whatever and however that looks like (whether with EMI (!) or Habitat for Humanity- globally or locally- or playing in my church's orchestra or Bible studies or bringing my worship to church), I am game ... the rest really is simply details to the depth of the story that is being written.

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? ' And I said, 'Here I am. Send me!'" (Isaiah 6:8)

No comments: