8/11/2010

details

I seem to be having a rough go at this complete packing away/giving away thing that I find myself in.

I tend to live somewhat frugally with objects. I don't have much furniture because I didn't need it, and it's harder to be mobile and move residences every year or so (since I like change) when there is bulk. I have a twin bed, a small 2-drawer dresser, end table, floor lamp, filing cabinet, rug, and card table. The only chairs I had were camp chairs and I already gave those away. My problem comes into play when packing up to be flying friendly - which means take most of my clothes and shoes, some small sentimental objects, and 2 or 3 books/journal and give the rest away knowing that I will, once in Germany, go and buy those very same things that I just gave away. I have had some things for many, many years, and they function well still. It doesn't bode well with how I operate to buy a new something of what I already own.

And I still have this inner dialogue debating if this really is a permanent move out of the U.S. for good or is it an extended leave of absence. This is a very important distinction, you see. One means get rid of everything not coming with me because I will set up life on some other point on the globe. However, if it's the latter, why not hold onto a few things that I can reclaim into service after my up-coming 2-year stint (like my motorcycle and a dish set I bought a couple years ago). I feel in my gut the finality of the move, not really to return except to visit, but what do I know. My crystal ball has never shown anything except crystal.

And to compound to the dilemma, I am a good last minute packer. Before departing for India, I stayed up all night because I didn't start until the night before my morning flight ... and ended up doing a fun 4am Walmart run to get last minute items. But my current plans don't allow for that kind of procrastination. I am suppose to be packing for my trip to Germany. ok, great. But how am I suppose to also pack for a weekend trip to visit family and a week long stay at my sister's house? So I've decided to mock pack like I am just leaving the country now, make sure everything fits, then unpack what I need for this weekend. And then once again unpack, wash clothes, and re-pack when my flight is closer.

So in summation, ich finde dass schwierig. But I'm not complaining. This is a way cool time of fantastic change in my life, and all this is just details.

No comments: