7/30/2008

meet my new love

So I finally got to pick up my bike yesterday. I actually bought it last week, but alas, Hurricane Dolly while making an appearance on the gulf coast of Texas, inhibited me from taking it home. Then I was out of town (in San Antonio) and so finally, after much anticipation ... my motorcycle.

I still need a name for it though. While in India, I decided on Priya (which in Hindi means lovely), but this bike does not look like a Priya.

I admittedly was nervous taking it home. I have not ridden a motorcycle in six months and I kept thinking of ways that I could make a fool of myself or drop the bike or crash. I did stall out twice before leaving the parking lot, but got use to the clutch and throttle combination again.

Next accessory to buy: wind screen. Going above 50 mph produces an incredible amount of force on the driver. When I got up to 70 mph on the drive back to Seadrift from Victoria (where I bought it), I was literally holding on the bike so that I would not blow off. I even lifted up my foot and had trouble getting it back on its peg. Wow.

But at the very end of my hour journey home on my new bike, I became an idiot. I touched my exhaust pipe to wipe something off. And burned my hand. It blistered immediately and was painful all night. Here's to stupidity.

No comments: