1/09/2008

one step closer to biker-chick

Today was day one of motorcycle school. Wow. Okay first thought: when getting back to driving a car from a motorcycle, you feel like you are not doing enough - "Why am I not using both feet and hands? Why am I just sitting here?" But we all had so much fun. I wish I had my camera with me ... tomorrow, though, tomorrow I will get someone to snap a few of me riding around.

I have been known in the past to get frustrated with myself for failures and inadequacies that do not meet up with expectations. Today was no exception. Our riding coach commented that I look cute when I get upset. And something about do not expect to be perfect. "For goodness sake you have only been riding for three hours and before that you haven't even driven standard before. Have a bit of patience." I am not a fan of the clutch right now (f.y.i. -left hand lever). But by the end of our five hours of riding, we are now able (me - not so gracefully) to slow before a turn, shift down to second gear (which requires left hand, right hand, right foot, and then left foot), open the throttle (right hand) through the turn, shift gears back up to third at the apex of the curve, and pull out of the curve continuing to accelerate ... and continue with this loop several more times. At the very end we practiced how to brake fast (and safely) which is about speeding down and then as quickly as possible put the bike to stop using all hands and feet without dropping the bike or flipping over it. Praise God that nobody was injured. I think my head hurts. That is so much to have work through your mind. I suppose, though, that when first learning to drive a car, similar fears and mental use was needed. All this is to say that I cannot wait to get a bike!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the hokey pokey. Put your whole self in ... "left hand, right hand, right foot, and then left foot" ... do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around, that is what it is all about.

Or the physical moving song from camp: hi my name is Joe, I work in a button factory, one day my boss came up to be said push the button with your "left hand, right hand, right foot, and then left foot"

:)

Peace,

Anonymous said...

Hey its really cool that your leaning how to ride a motorcycle, even though I've never have done it before, it seems like you think its fun and I'm sure it is. Next thing you know it your gonna be doing wheelies and other tricks. Good luck on your motorcycle tests and stuff, and I hope you stay safe while driving!

Didn't get to see you today at Bible study, and I tried to get a hold of you a few earlier times in the week. Anyway, I'll probably see you at Saturday night service, right? Hope your doing well and are excited about your upcoming adventure! We're all praying for ya.

tam said...

I am up in Austin hanging with my sister. I will be at U-nite on Saturday ... I will see you there!