8/07/2010

bis dann

I have discovered something: I am not a fan of good-byes. Well, that's not quite right. This is hardly a new discovery, so I'll go with a rediscovery of a well worn hat.

I have actually been quite cryptic and evasive with many people for the last several weeks about my last days on this continent. The different circles I travel in provide a varied timetable of leave-taking, and, well, since I don't like good-byes I hesitate telling people the exact time that I will last see them.

Well, maybe there is where my issue is. I don't like the idea of "the last time." I mean, who knows. I don't. I barely can figure out what tomorrow might look like, and I now have a very general idea what I will be doing for the next two years, but after that? Who knows. So this finality thing could really be not-so-final after all.

So, sorry for those who will not get a good-bye from me in person. But you know me. I am much more for the quiet exits anyway.

[Second] So, I have decided to go with the German phrase "bis dann." Bis spรคter. Bis bald. They all mean the same thing. "See ya later." Now, don't get me wrong. I don't fly out of this country for another 2 1/2 weeks, but don't expect to see much of me.

I have a couple of days to pack, shed everything that is not coming with me or holds significant emotional value, and move out of my apartment. Then it's road trippin' time to Abilene, TX to hang out for a couple of days with my grandma, uncle, aunt, cousins, etc. Then down to the gulf coast to spend 1 1/2 week with my sister just enjoying each other's company ... and taking care of whatever business is left on my pre-departure check list.

All in all, I'm stoked. And I don't do good-byes ... or "how are you?" but that's for another time.

No comments: