1/19/2010

chapter: Senegal - part 1 of whenever I end

We have made it home safely ... with a bit of drama, but all is well. I have to continue with malaria pills, and I have napped often on the plane, in the airport, on the plane, and throughout today. But all this is the end of the chapter instead of the beginning, which is where I'd like to begin.

My friend and I got to Austin airport several hours before departure. Our flight out was slightly delayed. Meaning our layover in Dulles to Senegal shortened to about an hour. But no biggie - we just had to jog to our departure gate since they were already boarding. Onward to Senegal!

Day 1, Jan 8: We landed in Dakar as the sun was rising. First thing I notice was the scent of salt water and fish. I greatly dislike the smell of fish. Most people on the South African flight don't get off at Dakar (their destination is Johannesburg), so it's not a mad rush to get off the plane. Did customs without a hitch. Baggage claim, almost without a hitch. My friend Linda's personal bag was not here. All the meds made it which was fantastic. We speculated what adventure her bag was going to have. Maybe it didn't make the quick transfer at Dulles. Maybe it wanted a South African adventure. No matter, it arrived a few days later with the help of a Senegalese friend. In any case, we were the last people to leave. Nobody was even at security to check our bags.

We immediately left Dakar and stopped at a discipleship training facility just outside the city called Haven for Hope for breakfast and a nap. Most of us (including me) did not sleep well on the 8 hour flight over the Atlantic, so the nap was a God-send. Theis, another major city in Senegal was to be our base camp for the next 9 days.

I honestly don't remember much about this day. And I confuse the details I do know with the events of Day 2, Saturday. Yea for a digital camera with a date stamp. We ate some good food. Went to an Artisan Market. Had cultural orientation (which I don't remember). Visited Barthimee Hospital (Christian hospital in Theis run by missionary doc - Dr. Ted). Met with and had laughs with several Senegalese friends that I met in San Antonio. Sorted and packed medicine bags. Slept sometime in there.

Until next time: Day 3, Sunday, Jan 10. Village life at Diohine and a sleep over.

1 comment:

Faith said...

At least the luggage came eventually. I hate those first days of utter jet lag!