3/15/2009

what's next?

So ...
Sorry, disrupting post for a short line of thinking: I begin a lot of thoughts with 'so'. I think it has something to do with the fact that whatever finally spills out through my mouth (or fingers), I have been churning in my head. So nothing is a stand-alone thought. Everything has context and is part of a larger story. I simply chose to give voice to a few strands of ideas while the rest is filtered or forgotten. Anyway, back to my 'so'.

So, I have been investigating what life might look like next for me. The last several years have had dramatically different looks and situations and life-changing moments. It is very much in my character to have things planned out. Now, hardly ever do things happen in the way that I plan, but I'm alright with that - God's imagination is bigger and more eternal than mine.

Very recently I found myself pondering about becoming a Peace Corps volunteer. I was very willing to see how that might look for me. I was getting pretty excited. A week ago however, after meeting with a recruiter, I went away with a feeling that it was not a good fit for me. Their focus (though an extremely good one) does not fit my passions and gifts. So no Peace Corps, at least for now.

Well, then what? Since I would not need to contend with that particular 2-year commitment, what should I focus on? The previous ministry I served with in India (Engineering Ministries International) is an amazing organization doing good work all over the world. But for me right now, it costs money I don't have, and more to the point probably, I don't yet feel qualified to be the sole architect on a team. Some day - and I don't ever choose to use that phrase as a cop out.

I greatly enjoyed Habitat for Humanity, both locally and on the international scene. So I have already scheduled to volunteer several days with the upcoming spring build here in San Antonio, and hopefully a two-week trip to somewhere (Alaska, Brazil, Macedonia ... I don't know yet) this fall.

I have also decided that it would be good for me to stop putting off graduate school. So I will be working on putting together another portfolio, polishing my resume, writing essays, and getting transcripts and such. Hopefully to start in the fall on a two-year study for Masters of Architecture.

That's where I'm at. We'll see what sticks and what else God has intentioned and made ready for me to join him in. Here's to life. (clinks of imaginary drinking glasses goes here)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Recruiters in Construction:post free construction jobs