1/08/2009

memory/legacy

Part 1: My sister passed on an email that one of her friends sent her. Essentially, her military friend oversees had a conversation with an airman that was stationed in San Antonio at Lackland AFB. (He wants to go to a Spurs' game as soon as he gets back home.) The part that my sister's friend knew would be of interest to her, and thus to me as well, was that this airmen stationed far away from home knew and had worked with my dad.

"I thought you'd like to know that he is being remembered over here." It is very cool and special and some other emotions that I am not sure really what they are.

Part 2: My dad's old Sunday School class commissioned a sculptor in our church to have an altar cross made in memory/honor of my dad. It is a beautiful cross. (Thanks Mike, you did an amazing job).

My point in all this bragging of sorts is really a question. Why is having a dead loved one remembered by others (and yourself) important to us? They are no longer here; their body has begun decay, burned to ash, or (as I desire) played with/on by medical people. Why is memory something that surpasses this and goes to the heart of it all?

I have a hunch it is at least something to do with wanting to be an impactful people and not wanting to live a life that is purposeless in the end. Or maybe memory is one of those God attributes that we are given to illustrate that God never forgets.

2 comments:

Faith said...

Tammi, your Dad was amazing! He loved your Mom, you, and your sister so much! You Mom loves you, greatly, too! You are quite fortunate. :)

RuthT said...

Why is it so important others remember your loved one that has past? Because you know you are not alone. To have others that loved your father validates your own love for him. It validates your missing him in your daily life. The memories are God's blessing to us, to comfort us as the years go by. Stay connected, keep your memories and thank God for the love given by your earthly Father. Keep it real, earthly persons are not perfect -- do not allow the memory to become something your Dad wasn't. Remember the good and the not so good. Love you Tam!