11/27/2008

benefits of not being clergy

I am exceedingly thankful that I am a lay person and not clergy. Why would anyone willing do this? (I say this knowing that my sister is clergy and I have many clergy friends.)

I was reminded why I am thankful for my non-profession status within the church last night. Right now, we (a substantial population of the Williamson clan and extended others) are gathered in Abilene, TX for Thanksgiving. Dinner today will be at least 30 people gathered around several tables, and then we disperse to various napping "stations" (where ever you sit/lay and manage to fall asleep) and football watching.

Anyway, last night both my sister and I were sitting on a couch when our aunt's brother-in-law came over and we started chatting. After learning that Kelli is a pastor, the questions began. The good thing is that he was asking honest questions instead of defensive or antagonistic retorts. I am a fan of the question we heard, "so what do ya'll (Methodists) believe?" Go ahead and try to answer that one. No other promptings. Good times. What I appreciated is that I could answer with, "well, this is what I have come to believe, but I am still learning and could very well be wrong". Clergy don't have that benefit. Once it is discovered what they do, they are direct representatives of that denomination/sect/religion. So my sister was trying to answer various questions with guarded and cautious responses because what she says becomes truth in his eyes. I like having the opportunity to be wrong (sadly, it does happen) and no harm, no foul.

So there's one more thing tallied up to be thankful for this day. Have a happy thankful day and every day.

1 comment:

Faith said...

Good observation! I like to have the opportunity to grow and form my opinion, without people taking it as word, but I am also finding that as my relationship with Christ strengthens I am being asked all over the place about what I believe and why. It's been somewhat challenging more recently and it has almost required me to solidify some opinions and thoughts. At least I can say, I don't know (fill in the blank), but I do know (fill in the blank!) Sometimes I have to say that I am going to look further into it. Honesty is a great policy! =)