8/25/2008

memory is like __... what's it called?

My ability to remember is contingent on my willingness to write or record life.

Sometimes I think that I am so absentminded that if it were not for my calendar at hand and people (like my sister) to remind me that 'hey, rent is due,' I would be oblivious to large subtleties of life - say like being aware that I have not eaten all day (which I foresee happening once I again claim the busyness of life I was once so proud of).

All of this is to say that I am disappointed in my journaling efforts, either blogging or handwritten. I find myself in trains of thought as I work out things of faith, feelings of confusion or frustration, and revelations of God's good work ... but I neglect to record. And I know myself. I am not going to remember my mental, emotional, spiritual states that I have gone through this past month and the coming months unless I can turn back the pages of my mind a year down the road, a lifetime ahead and have a tangible witness of faith and God's ultimate faithfulness.

It is amazing to me, when I read what I have written during my time in India, the preparation of that step of faith and obedience, and the few years even before that when I became an earnest journaler. And yet, I am not spilling heart and mind on paper.

1 comment:

Faith said...

I thought it would be easy to continue blogging, after coming back from Uganda, but really, it wasn't. Not until recently, a year later, have I been updating my blog somewhat frequently. I personally have tried to keep the focus on cool things God is doing in and through my life. Your blog is different, and I enjoy reading yours! :)