2/13/2008

the tale of the 'pink frosting'

This is the story of one can (plastic tub) of a particular strawberry frosting. I left home with one can of Duncan Hines Strawberry and Crème frosting headed for Colorado Springs eMi orientation. During my testimony to the group, I pulled out some props - one of which being my most favorite frosting, nay, snack food. After orientation and awaiting the flight out to Delhi, I had the privilege of staying with the Powell's, a couple on staff at eMi. When I arrived, what did I find on the bed in the guest bedroom, except one special can of frosting. Though it was Pillsbury, I accepted it graciously into my luggage. So from CO Springs, Pillsbury traveled with its friend Duncan Hines from San Antonio, to Newark airport, and then onto Delhi, the train to Dehradun (just passed through), and up to Mussoorie. Sadly, it survived unopened for just a couple of weeks before I could resist no longer. After finishing the can, I simply put it in the recycle bin for it to be reincarnated as some other plastic form. But that was not the ending for Pillsbury. When walking down to the bazaars with Laura to help me buy fabric (and go to a tailor to be fitted) for some cortas (traditional Indian shirts), she told me of the simple can's redeemed life, and how much it impressed upon her. One of the ladies that takes care of Oaklands (e.g. cooking, cleaning) was taking out the trash to be burned, compost to be composted, and the recycle to be recycled, when she happened to discover one lonely Pillsbury can. She cleaned it out and took it home with her to be used in some other capacity.

The reason I tell this story (despite just having a bit of fun), is to express partially how deep it affected Laura. These simple things that we as privileged Americans (and "Westerners") take for granted, used items, objects that are devoid of value to us once we use it once - these are the things that light most sheds on in a third world country. Though there are many problems you can find where you are (especially when it is not at home), there are also many good things. I guess the point is this: do these revelations change you, or it is shrugged off as an o.i.i. as you re-enter Western culture?

Can you ever really go back once you have left? Maybe going back is not an option because the world has not changed, and you have. Despite what you have seen, touched, felt, lived, thought - despite all of that, the world does not change. And you so want it to. hmm.

Oh, and the Duncan Hines from S.A. - still unopened, thank you. What temptation though. After Easter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a cool experience, I am going to be thinking about the stuff I throw away now... and how it could be better used/reused.

Happy Valentines Day, late!

Dan Swanson said...

Hi. You dont know me, but I am a friend on Ali and Steph (in Costa Rica) and found your name on their blogs. I was in the same exact place as you were just about a year and half ago. I was an intern in the summer and got to enjoy Mussoorie during the monsoons.

Seeing your pictures and reading your stories about the monkeys brought back all sorts of memories. When I was there I went on an afternoon walk and saw a bright flash. I was told that a monkey just exploded on the power lines. It was a good thing I happened to not be looking as I would have been blinded!

-Dan

tam said...

Hey Dan. So you were up here in Mussoorie as an eMier. It is great to meet you (figuratively). You know, your electricuted monkey story happened here a couple of weeks ago. It knocked out our power for a couple of hours. I am glad that I could help you walk down memoriy lane. Do you plan on staying involved with eMi?

Doug, congrats on being an uncle and happy birthday. These are all late in coming, but I have not been able to chat with you.