1/25/2008

scanvenger hunt

Yesterday afternoon we ventured out (and down) to the bazaars in Mussoorie. The goal was to gain familiarity with the city and try out the few Hindi words that we have learned thus far. Us two new interns were spilt and paired with the two returning interns. So for three hours we ventured out and down and around the mountain taking pictures and speaking with people. I have discovered two primary things: 1) Even if I learn how to ask a question in Hindi, it does not mean that I can understand the answer ... especially since in this eastern culture, relationship is valued (meaning they want to talk and know you); 2) I have not yet developed mountain lungs ... for on the way back up the mountain, in the cold since the sun was setting, my lungs decided that a deep breath was not on their agenda - at 8,000+ feet (opposed to San Antonio's 850 ft.), I literally could not take a breath.

There is something else I must ask/speak. This winter is apparently a bad one for northern India. Yesterday I learned that at least 58 people have died in the plains from the cold. This is particularly heavy since there is at least one more month of winter here. Those that are impoverished have no home, no shoes, or no cloak. It is so cold that we have actually run out of water because our pipes have been frozen for several days. We were previously using the water from the rain collection tanks (I was told that it rained last week). So we are out of water. But we have means to buy bottled water, the truly poor of India have no resources.

This was actually good for me to here. I had become so self-focused on how cold I am, that I am appreciative that God stepped in to give me a lesson: "Look, you are all right, yes slightly inconvinced, but all right. You have blankets, a coat, the ability to wear five layers, and have wood to burn for heat. There are many that have not. And my heart weeps for them." Thank you Lord.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have notes from this week, but I am unsure of where to put them. Maybe I should blog about them on my own blog.

Anyway, I caught up on reading yours and it sounds like your doing alright.

I've been busy this week, so I hope to have more time in the day to catch up on things. There is always the weekend...

...and since its like 10PM almost, I'm going to say good morning to you, have a good day, and I am going to try and get some sleep!

Your experiences are great to hear about. Thanks for blogging.

its me said...

i completely agree with you!!!
i live in dehradun and i visit musoorie quite often ....
its really sad to see the people and especially those young children working at the tea stalls and roadside cafes wandering in the cold with no proper cloths to protect them from the cold

great work!!!!!!

RuthT said...

Wow - poverty, cold, breathless -- prayers never ceasing for you and your team.

BTW, don't eat minty things that cool your breath at this time -- that makes it harder to breath!

Sending hugs, R

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love God's life lessons for us. I'm sure He's not done in the slightest, so keep 'em coming, eh. That was for you. Rock on, and God bless you. And give Quinn a hug for me.

Liz said...

Tammi! I'm so glad I get to read about your time in India. It reminds me to think about the people all over the world instead of just my small circle I live in, and even though I don't get to go with you I get to learn about another culture. I pray that God blesses you in getting to know your way around town, meeting people, and learning Hindi. Hope to read more soon!
Liz

Anonymous said...

Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.

- Johnson