8/07/2007

iglesia

A couple of us went to the church in town. Our professor explained to us that people from many miles (or kilometers, if you wish) arrive every Sunday by foot through the mountains or by burro (donkey). Interestingly, and possibly sadly, the Tarahumaras sit on the right side and Mestizos sit on the left during the service - quite similar to how many get along throughout the mountains (you over there, me over here), which is one reason for the building project that we are constructing.

I was really hoping that at least in the church, over whatever animosity, Christ would be first. Silly me. The service was in Spanish and was on the 'good Samaritan' parable. After service, the Tara. assemble again outside of the church for their own service which is a mix of Catholicism and their own native practices. The women are first, and then the men gather in front of the leaders after the women leave. It was a good experience ... though by the third week, I could not keep myself from dozing.
Sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty pictures, I would like to see the rest of them. That is a long way to walk to church!

Peace,
K